Sunday, November 21, 2010

November 21

I think I'm going to try to do the OT and NT in question format. Heaven knows I had enough questions...

OT: Ezekiel 44:1-45:12

Wow, how detailed are these temple measurements?
Is it just me, or are we getting repeats of measurements by this time?
Is it possible to picture exactly what the angel is showing him?
And more importantly, why are these measurements so detailed?
Why does it seem like the angel is giving Ezekiel a whole new Law?
Or is it a whole new Law?
Is there any overlap between these instructions regarding temple measurements and sacrifices, and the Mosaic Law?
Is this just an update of Mosaic Law from the tabernacle to the Temple?
How do these external regulations relate to Jeremiah's idea of writing the Law on their hearts?
Does Jeremiah's idea just apply to Jesus and the coming of the Holy Spirit?
Why institute a whole new set of laws so close to the coming of the Messiah?
Should I consider 400+ years as too close to be giving new laws?
Did the returning Israelites pattern the Temple after this vision?

NT: James 5:1-20

What does James have against rich people?
Is he against rich people per se, or just against rich people who hoard their wealth, cheat their workers, and murder innocent men (3, 4, 6)?
What qualifies as a life of luxury and self-indulgence (5)?
In what ways, if any, do I fit the description of this type of rich person?
What does James mean that the Lord's coming is near (8)?
Why does he say, "above all," before giving the command regarding swearing?
Is swearing really more important than doing good works, holding our tongue, and being spiritually wise?
If we say anything more vehement than "yes" and "no," are we really going to be condemned (12)?
If not, why did he say that?
What does condemned mean in this context?
Why don't we have our elders anoint us with oil in the name of the Lord when we are sick?
Can your prayers really gain someone else forgiveness for their sins (15)?
And what about this whole healing through prayer thing?
Is that supposed to be a blanket statement?
Why does the book end so abruptly?
Why do I have so many questions today?

Honestly, part of the reason I have so many questions is that I'm irritated that my exhausted son is tossing and turning and still not going to sleep after laying in bed for an hour. I'm stuck in a hotel room with him, and I'm stressed about his lack of sleep, and all that is making me cranky, and when I'm cranky, I have lots of questions. I'm not sure why; I just know that about myself.

But I'm glad I wrote these questions down. Maybe when I read back through the Bible two years from now, I'll be in a better frame of mind and can actually answer some of them!

Psalm 119:1-16

I didn't have questions about Psalm 119. In fact, I really liked it. I especially liked 9-11:

"How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
By living according to your word.
I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you."

Oh, no. I just copied that from biblegateway, and the NIV is different! It's supposed to say, "How can a young man keep his way pure?" Oh dear. This is going to require quite an adjustment for me. Turns out, I've memorized most my Bible verses in what is now an outdated translation!

Prov. 28:6-7

Verse 6 says its better to be poor and blameless than rich and perverse. Verse 8 contrasts those who keep the law and those who hang out with gluttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment