Wednesday, July 28, 2010

July 29

I'm posting this early b/c I'm on a different computer, and I have learned the hard way that not all computers are great at posting blogs at their scheduled times. So to avoid the potential hassle, I'm just going to post it the night before.

And full disclosure: I am exhausted tonight after a day of traveling, and this entry is going to be cursory at best. Consider yourself warned:).

OT: 2 Chron. 24:1-25:18

Okay, first of all, how did I not pick up yesterday that the chronicler refers to Josiah as Joash?? Today, I saw the subtitle that said, "Joash repairs the temple," and my first thought was, "Who is Joash?" Oh well, it's clearly the same guy.

Only, the chronicler's version is way different than my memory of Kings. First of all, my theory that the chronicler is partial to the kingship of Israel went out the window today. Yes, his focus is Israel, and yes, he was partial to David and Solomon, but he is not such a big fan of these latter kings. He doesn't mention anything about Joash finding the book of the Law or celebrating the Passover or the feast of Booths, or any of that. His Joash just repairs the temple and then falls away from God. This Joash even kills Jehoida's son for speaking the word of God to him! Not cool, Joash! In the chronicler's version, the story isn't about how Joash did so well but how it was "too little, too late" for Judah. No, no. God never says that here, nor does He talk about how He will spare Joash's life before the captivity. No, here, God kills Joash in order to punish him for his wickedness!

I mean, this is the same guy, right? Those were very different accounts!

Next came Ahaziah, who did some good stuff, and some bad stuff. I honestly don't remember too much, though I do remember that one of them threw 10,000 men off a cliff. Good lands! That is awful.

Okay, no more to say about today.

NT: Romans 12: 1-21

Mmmmmm....Romans 12. This might be my favorite chapter in Romans, and yet, not even its wonderfulness could penetrate my exhaustion, nor could it help dispel the cloud that came from the OT reading today. But I did love it.

I love the talk of living sacrifices, which of course, plays into my fascination with the idea of dying to self. I also love the idea of not conforming to this world, but being transformed by the renewing of your mind. Awesome.

Also, "one body, many parts" is good. I love that picture of the body of Christ.

Really, every single verse is good. Towards the end, it seems that it should really be written in list form:

Love must be sincere.
Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love.
Honor one another above yourselves.
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Share with God's people who are in need.
Practice hospitality.Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn.
Live in harmony with one another.
Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position.
Do not be conceited.

All great stuff.

Psalm 22:19-31

David begs for his life. and expresses hope for the afflicted and the poor.

Proverbs 20:8-10

One about kings; one about the universal nature of sin; one about dishonest scales.

2 comments:

  1. I mean, this is the same guy, right?

    Nope. Joash verses Josiah. Although they do have somewhat similar stories. Both have fathers who were assassinated and whose names start with 'A'. Both were made king at a young age. Both instituted some some reform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, seriously? Well...I guess that's a relief...

    ReplyDelete